Monday, April 30, 2007

Face-Negotiation theory

I couldn’t think of a huge conflict that I or anyone I know has been in recently, but I did think of a small scale example that took place at dinner the other night. I was describing a situation to my dad about how my boss just hired someone else to help out with receptionist work at the desk. I explained why she wanted more hours, and that since she already knew people that worked in the salon, it would be beneficial. Well as he was talking to me and asking questions, he said, “So she’s going to be a hairdresser?”
I said, “No, she’s going to be a receptionist.”
Then he used face-assertion by claiming that’s what he had just said. According to the chapter, face assertion is used to protect the need for inclusion. He demanded that he knew he said receptionist. I said no, you didn’t say receptionist, you said hairdresser, twice. He wanted to be part of the conversation and understand what I was saying; he wanted to be included in the dinner conversation.
He kept arguing because he wanted to save face, and not admit he was wrong, or had made a mistake. So instead of letting it go, he wanted to avoid being embarrassed by trying to convince me he was right and he did indeed say receptionist.

By the way, I dropped it and let him have his glory, so in my case I gave-face because I knew my dad’s need for inclusion.

No comments: