Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Elaboration Likelihood Model

The internet is a good example of the ELM theory.
When comparing television with the internet, more people are starting to use the internet more than television.
I think this has to do with being able to select what you see.
Just as in the theory, people use their "mental filter" to browse whatever interests them online, rather than being forced to wait for commercials on television.
The theory also claims that statements that are personally relevant become tested. So if I am concerned about eating healthy, for example, then I will find that information I need online. My concern and interest in eating right becomes my motivation to elaborate ideas I read in the articles the internet produces. Television does not provide me with that information I am looking for, rather, I might have biased elaboration during the commercials because I am expecting to see all fast food commercials which contradict my thinking.

This theory also touches on credibility being the most interesting cue on the peripheral route. This is why Dr.Phil is now linked with Match.com advertisements. More and more people are in search of finding someone, but not all the shows on Dr.Phil correlate with their own lives. Consequently, turn to the internet while using your credible source to find the information you need. With sites like Match.com, you determine what information comes back to you, and it all is personally relevant. Dr.Phil will become more persuasive being in both the television and internet mediums, than just television alone. In fact, the slogan for Match.com is, "It's okay to look." This slogan is a mirror image of one of the peripheral cues in this theory, social proof.

Overall, I think this theory is dead on, especially for my generation. We pick out foods we don't like in salads as carefully as we monitor what we will subject ourselves to see.
With the internet, searching for questions is endless, and private.
Being able to find only the stores you like to shop at and the brands you wear is easy.
With television, we are becoming more and more impatient. TiVo has helped the commercial problem to an extent, but as the theory states, we make an effort to kid ourselves in search for the truth. We will see and read what we want, and that's that.

No comments: