Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Cognitive Dissonance Theory

With this theory, I thought of how I have been as a college student.
I tried to think of times that I can remember having cognitive dissonance.
Then it hit me. How many times have I said, "I am going to study and do really well for this exam". Then the time comes to study and I blow it off until the last hour I have left. Why?
I said I would study, and instead I find other things to do. This is an obvious inconsistancy between my attitude towards studying and my behavior.

In the beginning of my reasoning, I know I like to reassure myself I'm doing the right thing. I'll sit and say, well, I have been reading, I know the material, a few hours is all I'll need. Then when it comes down to that last hour, my attitude suddenly changes. This is due to the pressure of knowing that I don't have any other time to study. Now I am forced to do it. All the sudden, the issue of studying becomes more important. Postdecision dissonance is now in play. I need to reassure myself that I will be able to study in this last hour.

Then it comes to test time, and I don't do as well as I had hoped. I realize why and tell myself I need to study harder the next time. Sometimes, it becomes a vicious cycle of cognitive dissonance. Other times, I get it through my head and hit the books hard. So this theory is very true, and also critiqued well by knowing that we can't always predict attitude and behavior.

No comments: